When to Repair or Replace Your Roof
Is it time to repair or replace your roof? With over 60 years of trading and extensive investment in training for our skilled team, which you can learn about here, we’re well-placed to answer that question. Read our guide to help you decide when to repair or replace your roof.
Signs that your roof needs to be repaired:
- Cracked, loose or missing roof tiles
- Discolouration, moss or mould growth indicates that part of the roof is rotting
- Visible sunlight in the loft, which could mean that there are cracks or holes in the roof
- Damaged flashing around protruding roof objects like chimneys and vents, which can result in water leaking into ceilings or walls, causing serious damage if left un-repaired
- Damaged ridge tiles, which can cause damage to the entire roof if left un-repaired
It’s important to note that these signs may indicate extensive damage that cannot be repaired. In extreme or serious situations, when damage has been left or spread across a major section of the roof, it is more likely that a roof replacement may be necessary.
Signs that your roof needs to be replaced:
Although a roof replacement is a major investment, it is crucial it should be prioritised when needed. Neglecting to replace a weakened or inefficient roof can cause severe damage to your home and pose a danger to those in its vicinity. Here are some signs that indicate it’s time for a roof replacement:
- Roof sagging, which could indicate structural damage that could result in roof collapse
- Serious leaks when it rains or when snow accumulates on your roof in the winter, resulting in water damage
- Objects fall through or onto the roof which has weakened the roof or damaged its structure
- Flaking, delamination, or powdering of slate tiles or sedimentary deposits of the cement tiles, indicating a weakness that can lead to significant structural damage
Other Factors to Consider
As well as the signs we’ve listed above, the following factors could help with making the decision between a roof repair or roof replacement:
- Age: If your roof is nearing the end of its expected lifespan, it may be more cost-effective to replace it rather than continually patching it up.
- Damage extent: If the damage to your roof is extensive and it covers more than 30% of your roof, it may be best to replace your roof rather than repair it.
- Water damage: If you notice water stains on your ceiling or walls, it could be a sign of a leaky roof. In this case, it’s essential to have your roof inspected by a professional to assess the extent of the damage and whether it can be repaired or needs to be replaced.
- Energy efficiency: Older roofs may not be as energy-efficient as newer ones, which can result in higher energy bills. Replacing your roof can improve your home’s energy efficiency and save you money in the long run.
Vigilance is Key
Early detection of damage or potential problems can save you thousands of pounds in the long run, so don’t let minor roof maintenance issues turn into costly repair projects. Stay on top of your roof’s condition and identify any issues as soon as possible to allow for prompt repairs.
Keep in mind that roofing contractors usually have projects scheduled months in advance, which could leave your home exposed for a significant amount of time. By spotting issues early, you’ll have enough time to book any necessary repairs and keep your home protected.
Here at Moran Roofing Specialists, we offer a wide range of roofing services, managed from our Farnham head office and operating throughout Surrey and Hampshire in Farnham, Alton, Bordon, Guildford, Haslemere and Godalming; we’ve got you covered! Call us today on 01252 733849 or click here to speak to a member of our friendly team, who will be happy to arrange a roof survey.
Get In Touch
For over six decades, our team of highly-trained and experienced roofers have provided residential customers and commercial clients, across Farnham, Surrey and Hampshire beyond, with first-class roofing services.
We specialise in all types of domestic and heritage roofing services and can offer the knowledge to help with any queries.
Call Moran Roofing Specialists today on 01252 733 849 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.